Data centres require both digital and physical security controls to verify authorized personel and deny access to intruders. These security measures protect valuable (and sensitive) data while maintaining the integrity of the equipment critical to the operation of the network.
The technology involved in maintaining data centre physical security includes fences and other physical barriers planned into the architecture of the facility, as well as surveillance and monitoring sytems and staff.
Physical Security Controls Include:
- Closed-circuit surveillance camera system design and installation
- Motion and thermal alarm system setup and lighting design
- Recruitment of security personnel
- Establishing a photo ID system for employees
- Security controls (automated and manual physical locking mechanisms at all points of access)
- Security assessments and risk evaluations